The Town of Rhinebeck Committee on Aging became aware of the "aging in place" concept in 2007 and joined our neighbors from the greater Poughkeepsie area in exploring the possibility of creating something modeled on Boston's ground-breaking Beacon Hill Village. Distance and cost estimates essentially derailed the concept of just one organization in Dutchess County, so Hudson Valley Home Matters opened in 2009 serving the City of Poughkeepsie and six surrounding towns.
A 2011 survey by the Town of Rhinebeck Committee on Aging identified more than 70 Rhinebeck residents who were interested in learning more about the possibility of an aging-in-place organization for Rhinebeck. A small group of Rhinebeck residents formed a not-for-profit organization and held many meetings and gatherings of interested persons.
Northern Dutchess Hospital provided us with office space; the Community Foundation of the Hudson Valley provided fiscal sponsorship;we developed policies and procedures; the Frost Memorial Fund provided seed funding; we obtained insurance and established membership criteria. And we finally "launched" on Thursday, May 9th, 2013 with 80 guests at a brunch at the Beekman Arms.
Officers & Board of Directors
President: Nina Lynch
Vice President: Anne Brueckner
Treasurer: Francois Weigel
Secretary: June Vanderlaan
Neighbors Helping Neighbors Stay Independent at Home
- Rhinebeck at Home is dedicated to helping our members remain in their homes and stay connected within our community as we grow older
- Members share a common concern that we may need assistance, now or in the future, to maintain a fulfilling life
- Rhinebeck at Home encourages and coordinates the efforts of our members to give and receive support
Members help members in some of the following ways:
- Providing referrals to other community service organizations
- Offering social activities
- Helping each other do things
- Sharing member-recommended service provider referrals
How we do it:
- The @HomePhone (845-379-1114) offers one-call access to experienced volunteer coordinators
- Volunteer coordinators will assist members in finding the services they need